In Hellenic Properties, we believe that future office buildings are expected to adopt many new technologies and approaches to adapt to radical and rapid changes in how we work. Some potential trends include:
• Flexible spaces: The traditional approach of permanent offices is already being replaced by flexible spaces, where employees can choose the way and location of work according to their needs. These may include open co-working spaces, shared workspaces and teleworking booths.
• Technology integration: The future offices will be full of technological innovations, facilitating work and communication. This can include smart displays, motion sensors, virtual reality and artificial Intelligence tools, automation and cloud solutions.
• Communication and collaboration: Employees should collaborate more efficiently, regardless of location. Video conferencing tools, collaboration platforms and project management applications already facilitate more effective communication and collaboration.
• Sustainable design: New office spaces must place an even greater emphasis on environmental sustainability. This includes the further utilization of renewable energy sources, the reduction of energy consumption for their operation, the recycling and reduction of waste, the thermal shielding of constructions, and the promotion of employees’ sustainable commuting. Together contribute to minimizing the environmental footprint of each building.
• Wellness: Office buildings of the near future will promote employee wellness. They will resemble mixed work and living spaces, borrowed elements from hotels. They will include leisure spaces and infrastructure to support operations and flexible work policies promoting work-life balance.